Queller, Fisher, Washor, Fuchs & Kool, L.L.P.

Public Building Injuries

Injured on Property Owned by the City, State or Federal Government? We Can Help

Some people believe that it is impossible to sue the city of New York, but that is not true. The city can be held liable if it was negligent in maintaining its property - just like any other property owner. This also applies to the state of New York as well as the federal government.

How Suing the City is Different

However, filing a claim against a public entity is more difficult than seeking compensation from a business or a private individual. Different filing requirements apply, and the time limits are more restrictive. For these reasons, it is important to have legal representation from an attorney who understands how to manage a lawsuit against a public agency.

Find Out How Our New York Attorneys Can Help

At Queller, Fisher, Washor, Fuchs & Kool, L.L.P., we have nearly 50 years of experience helping clients obtain compensation for their injuries. One of our lawyers will evaluate your case and advise you about your options. Call us today at 212.406.1700 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation.

Causes of Injuries in New York City Public Buildings

People can sue the city or other public agencies for compensation for injuries that occurred because of:

  • Broken pavement
  • Potholes
  • Poor maintenance in public buildings such as torn carpets, slippery or wet floors and weak or broken stair rails
  • Injuries that occur in NY public housing, hospitals or school buildings because of defects or negligence

Our attorneys know how matters involving public building safety should be developed. Once we accept a case, we consult with the best experts in fields such as medicine, safety, engineering and finance to determine how the injury affected your life and future.

Time is Especially Important - Act Quickly

Unlike other types of personal injury claims, lawsuits against the city of New York move quickly. The injured person must file a notice of claim within 90 days of the injury, informing the city of his or her intention to sue. The lawsuit must be filed before a year and 90 days have elapsed after the accident.

We Accept Fewer Cases, Allowing Us to Focus on Clients

To schedule a free initial consultation to discuss your case with an experienced injury attorney, please call 212.406.1700 or contact us online. Your consultation is free.

Client Reviews
"I would not go anywhere else if I had a personal injury case in New York again." Oscar G.
"My contact with them was always smooth and trouble-free." Orlando B.