Queller, Fisher, Washor, Fuchs & Kool, L.L.P.

Automobile Accident Questions

Top Auto Accident Lawyers in NYC

Car Crashed Our New York car accident attorneys are recognized as leaders in handling Automobile Accident cases in New York City and throughout the State of New York. Five of our personal injury attorneys have been rcognized as Super Lawyers in the New York Metropolitan Area as published in the Magazine Section of the New York Times. Our firm is ranked among the Best Lawyers in the State of New York and is ranked among the Best Law Firms in the New York Metro area by US News & World Report. Also, six of our attorneys have achieved AV Preeminent status with Martindale-Hubbell representing the highest ranking for ethical standards and legal ability.

Questions about your car accident? Our lawyers can help:

What Should I do if I am in an Accident?

Regardless of how minor you think the accident is, you should always report it to the police. Write down names, addresses and phone numbers of any witnesses in case you need them later, and make sure the police officer gives you a copy of the driver exchange information form. Call your insurance agent and your insurance company immediately for further instructions. If you do not report the accident, the insurance company may deny payment of any claims you subsequently file. Your insurance company must notify you within 30 (thirty) days of receiving proper notice of the claim whether it will pay or deny your claim or that it is investigating the claim.

[ Back to top ]

If the Accident is Not My Fault, do I Have to let My Own Insurance Know About It, and if I do, Will They Raise My Insurance Premiums? What Kind of Coverage is My Insurer Required to Provide?

Yes, you need to inform your insurance company of the accident, but it cannot raise your premium if the accident was not your fault. New York is a no-fault automobile accident state. It means that your automobile insurance company is required to pay for your medical expenses up to a certain amount, depending on the policy you purchased.

[ Back to top ]

What if I was a Passenger in a Friend’s Car and He Caused the Accident? Do I Have to Sue My Friend?

To the extent your friend has bodily injury protection as part of his insurance policy, his insurance company is required by law to pay for your damages. It will also be required to hire an experienced attorney to defend your friend if a lawsuit is filed. By purchasing insurance benefits, your friend will not have to pay for legal defense or related expenses.

[ Back to top ]

What if I Received a Traffic Citation Stating I was the Cause of the Accident? Do I Still Have a Case?

That depends. If the accident was not completely your fault, you can still recover damages from the other driver for that portion of the accident that was his or her fault. New York allows injured parties to bring claims against others even if they were partially at fault.

[ Back to top ]

Client Reviews
"I would not go anywhere else if I had a personal injury case in New York again." Oscar G.
"My contact with them was always smooth and trouble-free." Orlando B.