Staten Island Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys
The law places a legal obligation upon business owners, landlords and private property owners to provide safe and secure premises for their guests as well as any passerby’s. In the case that the property owner fails to repair or sufficiently warn guests regarding a hazardous area on their property, they might be held liable in the case that an individual is injured as a result of the aforementioned negligence. The law provides a remedy for this injustice by allowing individuals who have been injured due to the negligence of another to recoup compensation for the damages that they have sustained following that particular injury. The attorneys at Queller, Fisher, Washor, Fuchs & Kool have over fifty years of experience representing individuals who have been injured or killed on public or private property. Our legal team has managed to secure numerous settlements exceeding sums of $1 million.
Statute of Limitations in Slip-and-Fall Cases
In order to avoid any conflict with the statute of limitations, victims of slip-and-fall injuries should not hesitate to contact an attorney at the earliest. The statute of limitations is a law that specifies the amount of time an injured individual has following an incident to file a lawsuit. In the case that an individual fails to file a lawsuit within the designated time period, the injured party may be forever banned from recoup compensation for the damages that they have sustained. In New York State the statute of limitations of slip-and-fall cases is usually three years. However, the statute of limitations varies on a case-by-case basis, for example, cases involving municipalities and the federal government need to be filed within 90 days and the statute of limitations expires within a year and a half.
Nature of Compensation Available
Individuals who have been injured due to the negligence of another party have the option to bring forth a premises liability suit against the responsible party and recoup compensation for any of the following damages that they might have sustained as a result of the injury:
- Medical Bills – An injury, such as a slip and fall, can cause an individual to sustain serious physical injuries, which might require the victim to undergo numerous medical procedures. The exorbitant cost of these recurring medical procedures can be financially crippling for the victim and his or her family, especially if the medical costs are not fully covered by insurance. Consequently, victims have the option to file a premise liability lawsuit in order to recoup compensation for the medical costs that they have incurred.
- Lost Wages – Depending on the severity of the injury, victims of slip and fall accidents might be required to leave the workforce either temporarily or permanently. In either case, the victim and his or her family is likely to face considerable financial strain. Consequently, victims have the option to file a premise liability lawsuit in order to recoup compensation for any lost income and any damage to their future earning potential.
- Pain and Suffering – This pertains to a category of non-economic damages. Victims have the option to recoup compensation for any long-term pain and suffering caused to their being by the accident. Compensable pain and suffering damages may include any and all types of physical or bodily pain, physical deformities caused by the injury, and loss of life's enjoyment.
- Wrongful Death – In the case that an individual dies on public or private property due to the negligence of the property owner, the family of the deceased may be able to recoup compensation for any damages sustained by the victim and his family following the accident by filing a premise liability lawsuit. The family can claim compensation for conscious pain and suffering enduring by the victim prior to his or her death, as well as for various types of economic losses such as loss of income as well as the economic loss associated with losing a spouse or a parent
Favorable Settlements Secured By Our Attorneys
The attorneys at Queller, Fisher, Washor, Fuchs & Kool have secured a number of favorable verdicts in slip-and-fall cases for our clients. Some of the more notable ones are listed below:
- A Large recovery for a woman who suffered a slip and fall injury at a gas station. The victim was walking toward the pay window when she tripped over a pothole. Her fall caused a serious back injury, which required a laminectomy and discectomy. Queller, Fisher, Washor, Fuchs & Kool's slip and fall lawyers recovered the victim a substantial settlement in mediation.
- An individual fractured their ankle after tripping and falling in front of a parking garage. The fall occurred due to a defect in the sidewalk's flagstone. Due to New York's law regarding the maintenance of sidewalks, the parking garage's failure to repair the sidewalk's defect constituted negligence. Our attorneys obtained a substantial monetary recovery for the victim after settling with the insurance company.
- A client suffered a fractured ankle, which required surgery after falling in the stairwell of a New York City hotel. Our slip-and-fall lawyers hired experts to prove that the stairwell had been designed poorly. Our experts' conclusion led to a large recovery for the victim.
- The wife of a detective in the ICU decided to pick up food for her husband's nurses at a nearby restaurant. As the detective's wife was leaving the restaurant, she slipped and fell on a sheet of ice and broke her ankle. After the insurance company failed to make any settlement offer, our firm took the case to trial. At trial Jonny Kool was able to reconstruct the accident and established that planters working outside of the restaurant had caused the sheet of ice to form by leaking water. The jury returned with a favorable verdict and awarded the victim substantial compensation for her injuries.
Contact Queller, Fisher, Washor, Fuchs & Kool Today
Premise liability cases can be extremely difficult to prove due to the extraordinary amount of burden of proof placed on trip and fall victims to prove negligence. Consequently, it is imperative to retain a skilled attorney that will investigate all aspects of the case, involving all the paperwork and interviewing any and all witnesses. Additionally, a skilled attorney will be willing to fight for justice and maximum compensation at trial. At Queller, Fisher, Washor, Fuchs & Kool, our New York City trip and fall attorneys have decades of combined experience representing seriously injured individuals in premises liability lawsuits. Our law firm has a reputed history of securing large settlements on behalf of our clients, many of which exceed $1 million.
In the case that you, or a loved one, has sustained a slip and fall injury due to another individual’s negligence, it is imperative that you contact the New York law office of Queller, Fisher, Washor, Fuchs & Kool today at (212)-406-1700 in order to schedule your free consultation during which we will review the facts of your case and your legal options. Queller, Fisher, Washor, Fuchs & Kool accepts cases on a contingent fees basis that is; no monetary fees are expected of you unless and until we are able to secure a favorable settlement on your behalf.