Legal Help After a Devastating Spinal Cord Injury
Spinal cord injuries are among the most frightening and traumatic medical conditions and complex legal cases a family can face. The New York spinal cord injury lawyers at Queller, Fisher, Washor, Fuchs & Kool, L.L.P., have the medical and legal resources to assist you and your family in the wake of a spinal cord injury.
A spinal cord injury usually results from a traumatic blow to the spine that fractures or dislocates vertebrae. Often, the displaced bone fragments or material bruise or tear the spinal cord tissue.
An estimated 450,000 people in the United States are living with a spinal cord injury, with about 10,000 new cases each year. Young men ages 16 to 30 account for 82 percent of cases.
Common causes of spinal cord injuries include car accidents (36 percent), violence (29 percent) and falls (21 percent). Sports or recreational injuries also account for significant numbers of spinal cord injuries.
Call Us to Learn How We Can Help
Our cases are taken on a contingency fee basis. If we accept your case, there is no fee unless we recover damages for you. For a free consultation with our New York personal injury attorneys, please call 212-406-1700 or contact us online.
Categories of Spinal Cord Injuries
- Partial spinal cord injury: Sometimes referred to as incomplete injury, this type of injury allows the patient to retain some sensation and possibly some function below the site of injury.
- Complete spinal cord injury: Total or near-total loss of sensation and function below the injury site. While the spinal cord is rarely completely severed, this diagnosis is used by doctors to describe patients with a lot of damage to the spinal cord, which usually indicates it is unlikely that the patient will experience significant recovery.
Some injuries will allow complete recovery while others will result in paraplegia (paralysis of the lower body, including legs), or quadriplegia (paralysis of all four limbs).
Serious spinal cord injuries resulting in quadriplegia can also impact a patient’s ability to breathe, cough or clear the chest cavity.
Additionally, numerous medical complications can result from spinal cord injuries, which, if not properly diagnosed and treated by a medical professional, can complicate a patient’s medical prognosis and even lead to a New York medical malpractice claim as a result of treatment from a spinal cord injury.
Common medical complications resulting from spinal cord injuries include:
- Deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism (blood clots resulting from long periods of sitting or remaining stationary, which can be fatal when they dislodge and travel to the lungs)
- Urinary tract problems such as incontinence can lead to kidney infections and kidney and bladder stones.
- Pressure sores from lying or sitting in the same position for long periods of time
- Autonomic dysreflexia, a condition that can result in stroke or seizure as a result of high blood pressure and a low heart rate
- Lung and breathing problems, including pneumonia
- Muscle spasms
Call the New York law office of Queller, Fisher, Washor, Fuchs & Kool at 212-406-1700.
Resources National Spinal Cord Injury Association: www.spinalcord.org
New York NSCIA: http://nycspinal.org/