Was Meningitis Left Undiagnosed? The Consequences Can Be Grave
Meningitis is swelling and inflammation of the membranes surrounding the spinal cord and brain, which can lead to serious neurological damage and death.
The New York meningitis lawyers and birth injury attorneys at Queller, Fisher, Washor, Fuchs & Kool, L.L.P., have the knowledge and experience to deal with neonatal meningitis in infants at birth. Our New York personal injury and wrongful death attorneys have the medical knowledge and experience to fight for clients’ rights in the wake of misdiagnosis or mistreatment of meningitis in children and adults.
Call Us to Learn How We Can Help
Our cases are taken on a contingency fee basis. If we accept your case, there is no fee unless we recover damages for you. For a free consultation with our New York personal injury attorneys, please call 212-406-1700 or contact us online.
Information About Meningitis
Here are some things you should know about meningitis:
- The most common causes of meningitis are viral infections, which can get better without treatment. But bacterial or fungal meningitis infections are very serious and can result in brain damage or death.
- Symptoms can include chills and fever, nausea and vomiting, a change in mental status, headaches, stiff neck, light sensitivity, agitation and rapid breathing.
- Diagnosing between viral and bacterial meningitis is critical for effective treatment, as is determining the proper course of treatment for various bacteria associated with the more serious diagnosis of bacterial meningitis.
- Medication, including antibiotics and IV fluids, is used to treat brain swelling, seizures and shock. Meningitis is a cause of high temperatures in newborns.
- Neonatal meningitis in infants at birth can be associated with developmental delays, learning disabilities, cerebral palsy, seizures and hearing problems.
- Untreated or mistreated meningitis can lead to serious neurological problems, disability and death.
Call the New York law office of Queller, Fisher, Washor, Fuchs & Kool at 212-406-1700.
If you are dealing with the consequences of an infant or child’s misdiagnosis of meningitis, our New York birth injury attorneys offer free and confidential appointments to discuss your rights. Call us or contact us online.